Home » Visiting » Sites and Museums » Hôtel de Sade

Hôtel de Sade - Tourist Office of Saint-Remy de Provence

Hôtel de Sade

(Monumental heritage)



rue du Parage 13210 Saint-Rémy-de-Provence

Phone :

04 90 92 64 04
Web site

 Reopening on June 1, 2019 - Closing on September 22, 2019


hotel-de-sade-saint-remy-de-provence

Behind the walls of the Hôtel de Sade, a 15th century residence owned by the Sade d'Eyguieres, grandfather of the marquis, hides remains that link the city of Saint-Rémy de Provence to its history: ancient baths, medieval religious group and modern, medieval mansion and Renaissance mansion.

 

From June 2015, the visitor will be able to admire the works of the archaeological site of Glanum presented in the Auguste exhibition at the Grand Palais (sculptures, drawings, coins ...) through some rooms devoted to the political imagery developed under the Roman Empire.

 

A complete course around archeology, excavation, reserves and research laboratory, is also proposed and will penetrate to the heart of this often unknown discipline.

 

 

An architectural focus from Antiquity to the Renaissance

 

When Balthazar de Sade (1461-1518) built, at the end of the 15th century, a mansion, in the purest Renaissance style, he completed an exceptional cycle of construction in the heart of Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, consisting of a remarkable series of civil monuments (ancient baths, medieval tower and house of the tithe *) and religious (ND church of the Tower then Saint-Pierre church in the Middle Ages and chapel of the black penitents in modern times).

 

A showcase for Glanum's collections

 

All buildings are acquired and classified as a historic monument by the State, in 1929, under the joint action of Jules Formigé (1879-1960), chief architect of historical monuments, and Pierre de Brun (1874-1941) , founder of the museum of Alpilles, which saves him from ruin. From 1954, under the leadership of Henri Rolland (1887-1970), the Hôtel de Sade became the excavation site of Glanum whose collections will be presented to the public from 1968.





The archaeological route: from the excavation to the research laboratory

A vast ancient thermal complex (4th century AD) was revealed by a series of archaeological excavations conducted by Jules Formigé and Henri Rolland before the Second World War. The only ancient building visible today in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence intramural, its exceptional state of conservation, comparable to the thermal baths of Constantine in Arles, allows you to wander through the different zones of amenities used by the Gallo clientele. Roman baths.

 

The reception room of the Renaissance wing presents all the discoveries made near the twin temples of Glanum, dedicated to the Emperor and his family, who are gradually taking precedence over the first Gallic sanctuary located around a natural source: - a series of carved portraits including that of Auguste's own wife, Livie, - the elements of a carved group from a military trophy including battleship torsos associated with the representation of captive Gaulish warriors recalling the memory triumph over the Gallic peoples.





The Reserves-Based Research Laboratory presents the results of the most recent studies of Glanum's collections, which include Gallic religious practices from a group of sculptures found in re-use in the Forum area and its surroundings. The Gallic city leaders are represented in the form of heroic warriors (squatting) sculpted in limestone enhanced with brightly colored pigments or on the monuments of the city where they rub shoulders with the deities of the Mediterranean basin (busts capitals).

 

Particular practices are revealed by the study of an imposing lintel arranged to receive skulls nailed as trophies exposed in the Gallic shrine of Glanum. Sade Hotel Rue du Parage

 

 Practical information Hôtel de Sade ticket
> Full price 3,50 €
> Group rate / reduced € 3.30
Twin ticket Glanum / Hotel de Sade:
> Full price 10, 00 €
> Group rate / reduced 8, 00 €

 

Free up to 26 years old (EU national only)
Open from 01 June 2019 to 22 September 2019
Schedules (subject to change): open every day from 9.30 am to 1 pm - 2 pm to 6 pm
Last access 30 minutes before closing